Monday, January 30, 2012

4. I reeeeealllllly like X-Weighted


I’ll admit it. I watch “X-Weighted”. Every day. Sometimes 2 episodes a day. And sometimes, I’ll even re-watch an episode I’ve already seen. I know, I know; that seems crazy. But I have realized that I just really like watching people transform their lives and getting to see parts of the journey it takes for them to do so, is really interesting to me. And I like that each episode of this show encapsulates a person’s entire story. I don’t want to be beholden to a show like “The Biggest Loser” and have to tune in week after week to monitor the progress of people I barely care about. Nope. I want a quick-fix when it comes to my weight loss programming. (NOTE: The fact that there is an entire genre of television devoted to weight loss is insane to me. Think about it… "Bulging Brides”, “Heavy”, “Too Fat for 15”, “Ruby”, “Last 10 Pounds Bootcamp”, “I Used to be Fat”, the list goes on and on. But alas, I digress…)

Sure I know that the situations on this show are manipulated for entertainment purposes but at the end of the day you can’t argue when someone has shed 50 or 60 pounds. That’s real. It’s the same reason I’ve always been fascinated with Heidi Montag. As fake as “The Hills” may have been, that girl PERMANENTLY, SURGICALLY altered her body. That is as real as her boobs are fake. There’s something voyeuristically satisfying about seeing something REAL like that caught on film. We’re getting to see private details about people we would never normally meet. I guess this is why I also can’t get enough of “Intervention” (US or Canadian version…)

I met a group of emergency room doctors once and asked one of them what was the most appealing thing about that job for him. His answer? “Getting to hear the things that people don’t tell anyone else.” He then proceeded to share a very detailed list of the things that he had personally seen stuck in people’s rectums. I’m not kidding. You'd be surprised what people think can fit in there. Personally, I think I’m happy to stick with fulfilling my voyeuristic needs by watching Paul Plakas bully overweight Edmontonites into losing weight. It's as personal as I need to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment